Sunday, January 1, 2017

Cold Water and Smiling Biscuits

Since buying my house in 2009, I've replaced or updated... well, just about everything. The one remaining "vintage" element is the water heater. Installed in 1995, it's far beyond its expected lifespan of 7-10 years. I should have replaced it ages ago, but it was working fine, and other projects always took priority, and I kept putting it off...

And today I am paying the penalty for that procrastination. I'm without hot water until I can get a new heater installed (hopefully tomorrow).

It could be MUCH worse. Water heaters sometimes fail in spectacular fashion, spilling their contents all at once. I could have ended up with 40 gallons of hot water in my basement. Thankfully, my heater's demise was quiet, with only a little water leaking out the top and bottom.



On an absolutely unrelated topic...

My dogs love a particular type of biscuit called Buddy Biscuits. They are shaped like a smiling, waving person (sort of a reverse animal cookie, I guess).

They break pretty easily, so as I get to the bottom of the canister, what's left is a collection of heads, arms, and legs. But despite their unfortunate circumstances, the Buddies are still smiling. XD This always amuses me.


10 comments:

  1. When I lived in New Mexico, we kept having issues with our water heater's ignition mechanism. Incredibly annoying-- I was boiling water on the stove and bathing in a really old fashioned bucket kind of way lol. We contemplated replacing the entire thing, but that would be logical... instead we bought the replacement ignition and took a gamble at fixing it ourselves. Thankfully our gamble paid off... but it could also have been really bad! Haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably best that you replaced the ignition. I learned today that replacing a water heater is a rather complicated process which even requires getting a permit from the City.

      Delete
  2. Heh heh reverse animal cookies! I like it!

    In our old rental the water heater did the flooding thing, luckily in the garage which was a step down from the rest of the house!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh. Yeah, they do that sometimes... often with no warning.

      Delete
  3. That's why I love renting - if anything breaks, I'll just inform the landlord! I keep my fingers crossed that your new heater is already up and running by now...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Renting certainly has its benefits... and involves less risk!

      The heater will be installed tomorrow. I wanted to make arrangements for the dogs to be out of the house for the day because all the people and noises would terrify Nook. So we'll be trying dog daycare tomorrow.

      Delete
  4. Oh no! I am really impressed by what you've done to your house though.
    Hahah, love the cookies x'D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have less of a heater problem, and more of a heat problem. Our thermostat doesn't work. So, whenever my mother or I want to turn the heat on, one of us has to go down into the basement and connect two wires together. Our landlord is lazy as fuck.

    ReplyDelete